Seawolves fall in double overtime to UMBC

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The women’s soccer team confidently kicks the ball to its opponents. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

The undefeated home streak ended for the Stony Brook Seawolves women’s soccer (8-5-1, 3-2-0 America East) team Thursday night in a double overtime loss to the UMBC Retrievers (9-4-2, 4-1-0 America East).

The game was a disappointing loss to a Seawolves team, who took an early 1-0 lead in the 31st minute off a UMBC own goal following a free kick from Stella Norman. Scoring ceased until the 54th minute, when the Retrievers would even the score with a shot from Alexa Quaranta.

Coach Sue Ryan spoke after the game regarding the difference two halves made for the Seawolves.

“I thought we played well in the first half, but we couldn’t put two halves together. We couldn’t find our rhythm in the second half and that really cost us, especially after they scored. We got flustered and started just kicking the ball away and not really staying with our game plan.”

For the second time in many nights, bonus soccer was played in LaValle Stadium. With the men failing to capitalize on several opportunities the previous night, the women looked to break the trend as they headed into overtime. In two previous overtime contests this season, the Seawolves were 0-1-1.

The first overtime played just as regulation had ended, with no score but a distinct momentum advantage in the hands of the Retrievers. They would take six shots in total. The Seawolves, however, did have an opportunity when Emily Murrer broke away with the ball but sent a shot left of the goal. Despite their best efforts, the game was sent into the second overtime.

Two minutes and twenty five seconds in the second overtime, Jessy Brown of UMBC received a cross from Meg Kowalski, sending it in from five yards out.

Coach Ryan spoke more about the loss post game.

“Obviously we want to get three points whenever we can, but we can learn something whether we win or lose, and we need to take the challenges we faced today and use them to fuel us going forward.”

Stony Brook continues America East play this Sunday at Binghamton. They return to playing at home on Thursday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. against New Hampshire.