Wolfstock tradition attracts alumni

The Spirit of Stony Brook Alumni pose for their annual group photo at the Oct. 5 homecoming game against Bryant. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)

Stony Brook University’s Homecoming weekend is the time of year alumni return to reunite with friends while celebrating the spirit of Stony Brook.

Sporting a red Stony Brook t-shirt, Thierry Cazeau, an alumnus from the class of 1991, was ecstatic to be around his college friends as they tailgated in the stadium parking lot. Members of the group traveled from Maryland, Michigan and Atlanta to be there.

“I love Stony Brook,” Cazeau explained when asked why he returns each year. “It was a wonderful experience, diversity, close to home, great opportunities for learning and growing and developing the man I am today.”

Last year, around 700 alumni pre-registered for Wolfstock. The number doubled this year to around 1,300. According to the Executive Director of Alumni Relations Matthew Colson, about 2,500 people were expected to show up at Wolfstock.

“Success of the athletics program makes this the largest spirit and pride event of the year,” Colson explained. “Everyone comes out wearing red to celebrate the University’s success as a whole which also brings excited alumni back home.”

Lori Knerick comes to Wolfstock to reconnect with her H Quad friends from the 1970s. Sitting around two red tables under a large white tent at the field, she laughed with old friends as they reminisced about their days at Stony Brook.

Knerick was a resident assistant at Benedict College back in her time and flew in from Florida on Friday. Some of her other friends came in from Texas, New Jersey and Philadelphia.

“For me Stony Brook was the time of our lives, we all lived in Benedict for four years,” Knerick said. “I believe the best way to give back is to cultivate these small groups, and Benedict was very close.”

This group of alumni said that seeing each other and returning to the bonds they created years ago is what makes Wolfstock worth coming to each year.

John Quinn, class of 1977, proudly explained how his group of friends brought football back to the university in 1974 after the previous year’s team quit mid-season.

Wearing his old red Stony Brook Football jersey with the number 83 in big letters, Quinn came back again this year to cheer on the Seawolves.

“Wolfstock helps resonate good feelings that makes you proud and as people feel good about something they want to give back,” Colson said.