Seawolves fall 35-21 to Towson in 2013 home-opener

The Stony Brook football team got off to a hot start on Saturday night, but could not withstand a strong second half push by Towson, as they dropped their home opener 35-21.

The Seawolves held a 21-10 lead at halftime, but were outscored 25-0 in the second half.

The go-ahead score in the game came on a 31-yard touchdown run by Tigers’ running back Darius Victor, which gave his team a 26- 21 lead.

After a successful two-point conversion by Towson, Stony Brook had a chance to tie the game with 2:38 remaining.

The Seawolves converted a pair of first downs to get out near midfield with 56 seconds remaining.

But, there comeback hopes came to an end, as senior quarterback Lyle Negron fumbled the ball after being sacked by Ryan Delaire.

Towson’s Donnell Lewis then recovered the loose football and ran 43 yards for a touchdown.

“Attheendofthedayitwasa 21-20 game, with 3 or 4 minutes to go, and I give them credit for coming back from 11 points,” head coach Chuck Priore said.

The Tigers came into the game as an extremely hot team.

Not only were they 4-0 on the year, but they had won 9 straight going back to last season. With the loss Stony Brook drops to 1-3 on the season, and 1-2 in CAA play.

“I thought they were a good team coming in, and I think there a good team coming out,” Coach Priore said. “I think we’re a good program, and we’ll compete.”

Early on in the contest everything seemed to go right for the Seawolves.

They came out of the gate with a nearly eight minute long drive,

in which Stony Brook went 78 yards for a touchdown.

Junior running back James

Kenner finished the possession with a 2 yard touchdown run.

Then, on the Tigers’ first drive of the game, senior linebacker Jawara Dudley picked off quarterback Peter Athens, to give Stony Brook the ball on Towson’s 5-yard line.

The Seawolves took advantage of the opportunity, as junior running back Jameel Poteat delivered a 5-yard touchdown run, to give his team an early 14-0 advantage.

The Tigers would get on the board in the beginning of the second quarter on a 33-yard field goal by Drew Evangelista.

Then, with 7:12 left to go in the second quarter, Towson running back Terrance West would find the end zone on a 2-yard rush, to make it a 14-10 game.

Stony Brook would end the

The drive was capped off by a 4-yard touchdown pass by senior quarterback Lyle Negron to senior wideout Malcolm Eugene.

The 7,859 fans at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium were ecstatic going into the half, but would not have much to cheer about in the second half.

The game’s turning point would come with 11:46 to go in the third quarter, when Towson was forced to punt after being stopped by Stony Brook’s defense on the Tigers’ 46 yard line.

The return man, Poteat, decided to let the ball bounce in front of him.

But, the ball ended up going off teammate Nick Wagner’s leg, allowing Towson linebacker Monte Gaddis to recover the ball

closer,” said Poteat. “When you put our defense in a tough situation like that, it makes it hard.”

The Tigers would capitalize on Stony Brook’s misfortune, as Athens would find Spencer Wilkins for an 18-yard touchdown pass, to cut SBU’s lead to 21-17.

Then, early in the fourth quarter, Towson kicker D.J. Soven would nail a 51-yard field goal attempt to make it a one point game.

Later, with 7:36 to go in the game, the Tigers would receive the ball off a punt on their 4-yard line.

They would then proceed to go 96 yards down the field for the go- ahead touchdown in the game.

Saturday was the first CAA game to be played at Stony Brook. No. 2 Towson was also the highest ranked team to come

into LaValle Stadium since No. 9 Massachusetts in 2010.

Sophomore running back Jamie Williams missed the game due to a rib injury that will keep him out for about a month, according to coach Priore.

In his absence, both Poteat and Kenner received an increased amount of carries, and both found success running the ball.

Poteat finished with 80 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown, while Kenner ran for 87 yards on 19 carries for a touchdown.

The Seawolves rushed for 142 yards against a Towson team that came into the game ranking first in the CAA in rushing defense (53.0 ypg).

While Stony Brook was successful running the ball, they had trouble stopping Towson running back Terrance West. He had 154 yards on 26 carries, with a touchdown.

“He was a very good running back,” junior defensive back Christian Ricard said. “For the most part it took two of us to take him down on every single play.”

Eugene did not match the large statistical numbers he achieved in his previous two outings, but still had a solid day.

He finished with five catches for 53 yards, and a touchdown. Junior tight end Will Tye also had five catches for 51 yards.

The Seawolves will now get ready for their homecoming game against Bryant, this Saturday at 6 p.m.

Stony Brook is 7-0 in homecoming games under head coach Chuck Priore.

“Everybody put a great effort in, and we want to win,” said coach Priore.

“It will be a gut check. We’ll come back, and fortunately we’re playing at home. And we’ll just prepare real hard.”

Stony Brook fell to 1-3 on the season with a 35-21 loss to the Towson Tigers Saturday. Photo by Nina Lin