History of Wolfstock

©2012_Ezra_Margono_7166
Stony Brook football team celebrates their victory with the cheering crowds. (EZRA MARGONO / THE STATESMAN)

This week Seawolves all over celebrate Wolfstock 2013, a week full of homecoming festivities that culminate in a home football game and a Grucci Firework Show. Over the past few years, Wolfstock has risen in popularity among students and the community. In 2003, Stony Brook set an attendance record with 6300 fans at LaValle Stadium. Just nine years later, Wolfstock 2012 housed over 10,000 fans, over 5,000 of which were students, setting an all-time attendance record. Similar results are expected this year as they host Bryant University.

A big reason for Stony Brook’s recent success with the fans has been due to football’s success on the field. For Wolfstock 2008, the Seawolves beat Charleston 20-19 on a fourth quarter touchdown pass from Dayne Hoffman. That win fueled a 4-1 run to end the Seawolves 2008 campaign. It was their first year as part of the Big South.

Wolfstock 2009 hosted Big South foe Presbyterian. This time it was all Stony Brook, all game as the Seawolves went on to win 52-14. Quarterback Michael Coulter finished the game with 321 yards passing and two touchdowns.

Wolfstock 2010 was the first year of the Miguel Maysonet era and the first year without Hoftsra on the Long Island football scene. It was a great opportunity for the Seawolves to garner Long Island support.  In a business-like performance from Stony Brook, the Seawolves defeated Virginia Military Institute 27-9 on the strength of 190 yards rushing from Brock Jackolski and Maysonet combined. The number of fans entering LaValle that day was 7,432, which was 1,200 more than the year prior.

Moving on to Wolfstock 2011, the Seawolves hosted Lafayette, a revenge match for the Seawolves because they lost the year prior 28-21 in Easton. A 37-20 Stony Brook victory was in large part due to 194 yards and four touchdowns from Miguel Maysonet. Attendance also jumped to a near sell-out with 8,278 fans.

Last year, Wolfstock 2012 was the mecca of sporting events at Stony Brook to date. With 3:31 left on the clock, senior RB Miguel Maysonet busted through the line for a 1-yard touchdown, the third Seawolves rushing TD of the day to secure a 32-31 Seawolves victory which was followed by a field storming and a fireworks show.  LaValle was packed to the brim (a Stony Brook record) with 10,728 fans; roughly 2,000 more than LaValle’s reported capacity.

Wolfstock 2013 is expected to have another big turn out as the Seawolves play the NEC foe the Bryant Bulldogs, who started off 2013 at 3-1, at 6 p.m. on Saturday Oct. 5.