Volleyball spikes Princeton and Bryant

The Stony Brook women’s volleyball team put up a dominant performance this Saturday at the Bryant Invitational. They played two matches against Bryant and Princeton, winning both matches and only dropping one set to Princeton.

In their first match against Bryant University, the team swept sets, winning 3-0(25-19, 28-26, 26-24).

Their second match against Princeton was again a strong showing, with the team winning 3-1, winning three consecutive sets after dropping the first (13-25,25-23,25-18,25-21).

The entire team played extremely well, but there were quite a few key performances of note.

Sophomore Melissa Rigo delivered a pair of double-doubles, hitting .543 with 13 kills and 11 digs in the win against Bryant. Hannah Dolan, a junior, racked up 82 assists between the two matches, setting her career high with 47 against Princeton. Sophomore Stephanie McFadden tied captain Lo Hathaway for the team lead in aces, while also putting up seven blocks. Finally, senior Kaitlin Costello matched Rigo’s 13 kills against Bryant then exceeded that with 17 against the Tigers.

Head Coach Coley Pawlikowski was pleased with her team’s performance.

“We had a really positive day today, making some necessary and solid changes on the court and playing sound, situational volleyball by making crucial adjustments,” she said in a press release.

She also spoke of two performances of note.

“Nicole Vogel did a great job off the bench as a defensive player and with her serve. She gave us energy and a run at the last set against Bryant and worked hard to be disciplined on defense, scooping up some nice balls,” she spoke of the sophomore’s performance.

She also spoke highly of Melissa Rigo’s play.

“Melissa was named all-tournament after putting together three solid matches. We knew she was capable of it, and it was good for her to find her stride and push towards a weekend like this. She had a double-double and a .542 attack percentage against Bryant. That’s a great performance for a left pin,” Pawlikowski said.

Stony Brook will begin their America East season away at UMBC this Friday at 7p.m.