Both Cross Country teams take third at the Wolfie Invitational

The Cross Country team hosted Marist, Providence and Columbia at the annual Wolfie Invitational this past Friday, their second of two home meets.

After finishing first and second, respectively, in last weekend’s Stony Brook Invitational, both teams took third at the Wolfie Invite, finishing behind Providence and Columbia. Providence women are ranked first and the men are ranked fifth in the preseason USTFCCA northeast rankings, while Columbia, who is ranked No. 17 nationally, is ranked third (men) and seventh (women). The defending America East champions, SBU is ranked 12th in both the northeast men’s and women’s polls.

While junior Tyler Frigge took third place at the Stony Brook Invitational, this week was Mitchell Kun’s time to shine. The sophomore was the top finisher for the men, coming in at 26:24.90 to take 24th in the 8K race.

Despite missing some of their best runners, the women’s team posted two standout performances.

Annie Keown, who took first at the Stony Brook Invitational, finished first for the Seawolves in the women’s 8K on Friday. The senior finished her last collegiate home meet with a time of 18:37.99, earning her fifth place.

Sophomore Christina Melian crossed the line under three seconds later, taking sixth with a time of 18:39.61.

Both teams will be back in full force next weekend, racing at the Boston College Invitational on Friday Sept. 27. The first race kicks off at 3:30 p.m.