Fresh Seawolves, fresh start

The Stony Brook men’s tennis team opened their season Friday and Saturday Sept. 6 and 7 against some top competition from all levels of college tennis. A fresh faced team with many freshmen, the new Seawolves did not disappoint in their debut.

​In their first tournament, freshmen Tyler Hoffman, Brandon Stone, Raphael Termat, Hari Asokkumar and Alexandre Felisa showed their fight and tenacity in several hard fought wins.

​Local Long Islanders Hoffman and Stone left their imprint as soon as they stepped onto campus, making some noise at the first tournament of the season. Competing against the second ranked  ASA College from Brooklyn, Hamilton, Concordia, Quinnipiac, Hofstra and Stevens Institute of Technology, the young Seawolves rose to the occasion.

​Fighting through early round matches on day one, the C Flight draw had three Seawolves in the semi finals. After battling past Rohan, Stone would go on to face fellow Seawolf Hoffman, who fought back in a dramatic three set match against Hofstra’s Beau Willis, coming back from down a set and an early second set deficit with a big forehand and many trips up to net.

​In an all-Stony Brook final, with big forehands and a final net-rush, Hoffman beat teammate Stone in straight sets, 6-4 6-4, taking a title home for the Seawolves.

​After the women’s team takes the court for their Stony Brook Invitational next weekend on home courts next to Lavalle Stadium, the men head to the Penn Invitational starting on Sept. 27.