Baseball takes series against UMBC

The baseball team continued their hot streak this weekend, winning 2-of-3 games against UMBC.

The Seawolves smacked a total of 31 hits off the Retrievers pitching staff, getting a season-high 17 hits in Sunday’s game.

SBU and UMBC split Saturday’s doubleheader, with the Seawolves winning game one 5-3 and dropping game two, 4-1. Sunday’s rubber match went 10 innings, with Stony Brook taking a 7-5 victory.

The Seawolves trailed 2-1 going into the fifth inning of game one, but junior Kevin Courtney smashed a two-run homer out of centerfield to make it 3-2.

In the sixth, an error and a Josh Mason squeeze bunt in the sixth gave SBU two more runs as leverage, but junior starter Frankie Vanderka was in control.

Vanderka allowed three runs (only one was earned) on eight hits. He struck out two and walked one, improving to 6-3 on the season. This was the righty’s seventh complete game of the season.

The game was tied 1-1 in the seventh inning of game two but, with runners at first and second, the Seawolves failed to score, flying out three times in a row to end the inning.

UMBC responded immediately, opening the bottom of the seventh with a triple. With two outs and a man on second, Vince Corbi smacked a double to left field to bring in the go-ahead run. The Retrievers then added two insurance runs in the eighth.

Junior Brandon McNitt started game two for the Seawolves, throwing 6-2/3 innings and giving up two runs (one earned) on four hits. Although he struck out three and walked two, he took the loss and dropped to 2-6 on the season. Despite his poor record, McNitt has a 3.76 ERA.

Freshman Jack Parenty finished the day 4-for-8 at the plate. The Seawolves totaled 14 hits on the day.

The series ended with a nail-biter, with Sunday’s rubber match going ten innings.

Tied at five after nine innings, SBU opened the extra innings with a single from freshman Brett Tenuto. He advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from fellow freshman Johnny Caputo and moved to third after junior Mason singled to the pitcher.

Parenty then took advantage of UMBC pitcher Jon Cohn, doubling down the right field line to score Tenuto and Mason.

The Retreivers got the final two outs, but the damage was already done. With the Seawolves up 7-5, UMBC tried to rally, getting two hits off freshman Tim Knesnik before Mason came in as relief and ended the inning.

The Seawolves combined for a record 17 hits off UMBC, with every batter getting at least one hit. Senior Tanner Nivins and junior Anthony Italiano had three hits apiece. Sophomore Cole Peragine, Tenuto, Caputo and Courtney each had two hits.

Courtney finished the series going 5-for-10 with one home run. He has homered in three of his last six conference games. He leads all America East players-in conference games only-in home runs and RBI, with 6 homers and 26 RBI.

Freshman Dan Zamora started the game for the Seawolves, giving up five runs on eight hits over four innings. He combined with Knesnik and Mason to strike out a total of eight UMBC batters.

With six leagues left, the Seawolves are — games behind Hartford.

They will take on Albany in a three-game series next weekend at Joe Nathan Field. First pitch is Saturday at noon.