Senior basketball player Dani Klupenger prepares for future

A guard, Klupenger finished her career as a Seawolf ranked fourth on SBU's all-time three-pointers list. (ADRIAN SZKOLAR / THE STATESMAN)
A guard, Klupenger finished her career as a Seawolf ranked fourth on SBU’s all-time three-pointers list. (ADRIAN SZKOLAR / THE STATESMAN)

The chances of seeing or hearing of Danielle Klupenger around campus in her past four years as a student here are not unlikely. Many may know Klupenger as the guard on the women’s basketball team, her trade being three-point shooting. But just as many others probably know her as the host of the weekly talk show “Get Your Red On Minute,” or as the Homecoming Queen of 2012, or even as a CHOICE peer educator.

​For the past four years, Klupenger’s career at Stony Brook involved more than just strictly being a basketball player. She was actively involved in many clubs and organizations, like being the co-president of Student Athletes Advisory Committee (SAAC) or a member of the Student Ambassador program. She managed to find time to balance this on top of both basketball and academics. As a double major in journalism and business, Klupenger took her academics just as seriously as she did her basketball. Her hard work in both areas earned her the induction of being on the America East’s All-Academic team for the 2012-2013 year.

​“I wasn’t the highest scorer on the team, but academics is something I’ve always taken really seriously, and I always wanted to make that team,” said Klupenger. “When they called my name at the banquet I was in shock, I had no idea it was coming.”

​Klupenger also earned several other awards with her teammates, having been recognized by America East as one of the top five turnaround teams in the nation for a women’s basketball team. “To be recognized by America East despite our tough season was really exciting,” said Klupenger, finishing her own career as fourth on Stony Brook’s all-time made three-pointers list.

​Just as her career here at Stony Brook was big, so are her plans for the future. Her plans for post-graduation are not basketball-centered, and instead focus on her journalism major. “I came into Stony Brook knowing that I wanted to be on TV, wanting to be a reporter,” said Klupenger. “I love finding out people’s stories, asking questions. I’m kind of nosy, not going to lie, but I think that has worked to my advantage at some points.” Her plans for journalism are primarily focused on becoming a sports reporter. “Get Your Red on Minute,” a show hosted and initiated by Klupenger herself, is a weekly five-minute update on the web that channels her passion for both reporting and for sports.

​But Klupenger’s success was not a walk in the park. Like many other students, Klupenger found herself under the constant burden of school-related stress that wasn’t made any easier while simultaneously being on a sports team. “There were times where I questioned being here because everything was so hard. I had three different head coaches in four years, and times were tough. But now, I’m just so proud to be here,” said Klupenger. “I’d want people to know that SBU is a really great place, no matter how clichéd that sounds.”

​Klupenger’s story, and main message, is that hard work pays off in the end, something any student, athlete or not, can relate to. “I never thought that I was going to be where I am now in my senior year,” said Klupenger.  “All of a sudden, people have come to me with opportunities that I never thought I would have had. It really does pay off in the end.”