Track and Field impresses at Penn Relays

The Track and Field team put on an impressive display at the 119th Penn Relays last week, with two ECAC qualifiers and a broken school record.

The women’s team had two ECAC qualifiers on day one, senior Annie Keown and freshman Christina Melian.

Melian qualified for the ECAC championships in the women’s 3000-meter. With a time of 9:37.59-her personal best-she finished seventh overall and was the first freshman in the prestigious race to finish.

Keown put in an ECAC-qualifying time in the 5000-meter, finishing in 17:10.12. She placed 22nd out of the 31 runners in the event.

The ECAC, or Eastern College Athletic Conference, Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be held at Princeton University in New Jersey, May 10-12.

The men’s team was led on day two by the sprint medley squad, who broke a 20-year-old school record. The team, consisting of sophomore Terry Martin and juniors Stephen Reilly, Adam Jacob and Matt Grananta, placed sixth overall and finished in 3:31.15.

The distance medley relay also placed well, finishing eighth. The team, which was made up of sophomore Daniel Denis, junior Robert Taylor, freshman Bradley Amazan and sophomore Tyler Frigge, finished with a time of 10:09.06.

The Seawolves will travel to Binghamton next weekend for the America East Championship.