Softball splits doubleheader against Rutgers

Junior pitcher Christine Lucido hurled her fifth complete game of the season against Rutgers on Wednesday. (SARA SUPRIYATO / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook softball team started off their doubleheader strong against Rutgers on Wednesday, but faltered in the second game. A strong outing by junior Christine Lucido led the Seawolves to a 3-1 victory in the opener, before they suffered a 7-1 loss in the following game.

In the first game, Lucido gave Stony Brook seven strong innings, and pitched her fifth complete game of the season, to pick up the win. She only allowed one earned run, on seven hits, and struck out four.

Sophomore Bria Green would get the Seawolves on the board in the second inning, hitting her team leading sixth home run to give Stony Brook a 1-0 advantage. She has now hit two home runs in her past four contests, and is tied for the third most home runs in the America East.

The game was tied at 1-1 entering the seventh inning, before the Seawolves got a pair of home runs, to give them the lead. First junior Jessica Zeilman went deep, hitting her first home run as a Seawolf. Later in the inning freshman Alexandra Pisciotta hit a solo shot of her own.

Lucido won her sixth straight decision in the game, and improved to 10-1 on the season. She also now has a conference best 1.78 ERA.

With their win in the opener Stony Brook extended its non-conference winning streak to 10. But, in game two against Rutgers that streak would come to an end.

Rutgers would break things open in the bottom of the fourth, by putting up four runs on five hits. Sophomore starting pitcher Alison Cukrov was unable to make it through the inning, and was credited for the loss in the game.

One of the few positives in the game was freshman Melissa Phelan picking up her first collegiate RBI. She singled home a run in the top of the fourth, to tie the game up at one.

Rutgers outhit Stony Brook 11-3, after both teams had seven hits each in the first game. Green and sophomore Shayla Giosia were the only Seawolves to record hits in the both games.

With just a few weeks remaining in the regular season, the Seawolves will now play a three game set at Maine, starting on Saturday at 1pm. Maine is a conference opponent, and Stony Brook will play against America East teams in nine of their remaining 12 games.