Men’s Lacrosse loses to UMBC, 13-12

Senior midfielder Jeff Tundo (20) led Stony Brook with three goals and two assists against UMBC on Saturday. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)

Senior Jeff Tundo has had an incredible season so far at Stony Brook, leading the team in points by a huge margin with 51.

With his team now in a potentially precarious position to make the America East playoffs, however, he wishes he could trade some of those points for some wins.

Following last week’s 14-13 overtime loss to Binghamton, Stony Brook played another close game against UMBC at home on Saturday, but lost 13-12 in a see-saw affair.

“Points, obviously, I need to score because I’m one of the main players on offense, but I’d rather trade that in any day to get the W,” Tundo said.

The loss drops Stony Brook to 1-2 in America East play, tied in fourth place and the final spot for the conference playoffs with Binghamton.

“I felt we played harder than we did against Binghamton, we just didn’t come up with the result.” Stony Brook head coach Jim Nagle said. “We’re still in the playoff hunt, we got two games left in the season and I think we have a great shot at making the playoffs.”

After a back-and-forth first quarter, Stony Brook managed to break away from UMBC midway through the second quarter, scoring three consecutive goals in a span of 3:56 to take a 7-4 lead.

However, UMBC would score two goals in the final two minutes of the half and score the third quarter’s first two goals to retake the lead.

The teams would exchange goals for the rest of the half until UMBC’s Pat Young rocketed a shot past Stony Brook freshman goalkeeper Dan Shaughnessy with 2:39 left in the game for what would be the game-winning goal.

UMBC would win the ensuing face-off after Young’s goal, but Stony Brook would get the ball back after a 30-second violation from UMBC, and Nagle called a timeout with 1:07 left to draw up a play.

Sophomore attackman Mike Rooney got a shot off in front of the goal with 30 seconds left, but was stopped by UMBC goalkeeper Wes DeRito, who smothered the rebound to seal the game.

“We had run a play during the week that we put in, we just didn’t run it aggressively enough,” Nagle said. “We got a really close look at the cage, that’s all you can really ask for.”

Stony Brook saw Tundo and freshman attackmen Brody Eastwood and Jake Sichenzia score three goals each. Rooney had a team-high three assists.

UMBC, which outshot Stony Brook 47-23 saw nine different players score goals, was led by Nate Lewnes’ two goal, two assist performance.

“I felt that we probably should have gotten to his hands, and we didn’t” Nagle said of Lewnes. “All in all, we fought hard but we sometimes got out of our system.”

Stony Brook has two more conference games coming up, with one this upcoming Saturday against Hartford and the other the following Saturday against first-place Albany.

“We just got to win those two games,” Nagle said.

Before those games, however, the team will play its final non-conference game against Yale on Monday. For Tundo, the game will be a good chance to get the team back on the winning track.

“That could be a big win, maybe get us going a bit,” Tundo said. “We can get there, but we got to work harder in practice, it’s as simple as that.”