Softball goes 3-2 in jam-packed week of games

Senior infielder Gina Bianculli went 3-3 with a home run in the first game on Wednesday against Sacred Heart. (SARA SUPRIYATO / THE STATESMAN)

It was a jam-packed week for Stony Brook softball filled with local non-conference play and bitter conference rivalry. The Seawolves (22-17, 5-4) finished 3-2 on the week and went 1-2 at the University of Albany over the weekend with two extra inning games.

The week started off with a double header Wednesday afternoon against Sacred Heart. In the first game, Stony Brook made quick work of Sacred Heart (17-17) as they won 11-0 in 5 innings.

The difference came in the bottom of the third inning when the Seawolves poured on 9 runs on 9 hits and sent 13 girls up to the plate in total. Senior Gina Bianculli who went 3-3 with a homer led the offense.

However the Pioneers wouldn’t let the trouncing shake them, as they had to regroup quickly for the second game of the matinee double.

Stony Brook wouldn’t let themselves get complacent either. “We knew what we were up against. They had their ace on the mound for the second game. They wanted to get the split and we knew it,” said Coach Megan Bryant.

The second game was a world of difference as Sacred Heart pitched well and played better defense through five innings. But something about playing at home and the Stony Brook air carried the Seawolves to a late inning walk-off victory.

“Any day you win two games is a good day. We had to work a lot harder for the second game, but I’m proud of the fight we put up and the execution late.”

Allison Cukrov led the Seawolves on the mound with two wins, one in relief in the second game.

It was a rather appropriate end to a poor defensive game as the Seawolves won on a liner to left that was mishandled and allowed Stony Brook to walk off and close a tough double-header.

That was just the beginning of the week for Stony Brook and just the beginning of late-inning drama. The following two games would be decided in extra innings against the first place University of Albany Great Danes(21-10, 8-1AE).

Coach Meg Bryant secured her 700th win Saturday as the Seawolves won 4-3 but also fell 2-1 in the 13th(A college softball game has 7 regulation innings).

Although the weekend was capped by a 4-0 defeat of Stony Brook, a competitive weekend against first place Albany at Albany was an encouraging sign for the Seawolves.

Next week, Stony Brook will travel to Rutgers and Maine as they continue their trip to the America East Championship.