Women’s Lax beats New Hampshire for seventh straight win

Senior midfielder Demmianne Cook (27) scored five goals. She now has 60 on the season, first in the nation. (ADRIAN SZKOLAR/ THE STATESMAN)

The No. 10/11 Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team picked up its seventh consecutive victory by beating New Hampshire 16-6 on Saturday afternoon. The win, combined with a loss by Binghamton on Saturday, clinched for the Seawolves a spot in the America East Championship tournament.

Stony Brook also matched a school record for consecutive wins, which was originally set back in 2007. The team has not lost since March 17th, when Maryland defeated it 8-3 at home.

The Seawolves got off to a big lead in the first half, scoring ten consecutive goals to start the game. Stony Brook would take a 12-2 lead into the half. New Hampshire was better in the second half, but failed to make much of a dent in the Seawolves lead.

The Seawolves were once again lead by seniors Demmianne Cook and Janine Hillier. Cook found the back of the net five times, while Hillier had a goal and four assists.

Cook’s five goals put her at 65 for the season. She is three away from tying the program record of 68, which she set last season.

The two seniors were not the only ones contributing for the Stony Brook offense. Overall on the day, seven Seawolves scored and three of them had multi-goal games.

Sophomore Michelle Rubino had four goals on the day, and junior Emily Mercier scored twice. Sophomore Amber Kupres, junior Alyssa Cardillo and junior Jessica Romano all scored a goal apiece as well.

Goalkeeper junior Frankie Caridi picked up her twelfth win of the season. She played the entire sixty minutes and made eight saves in the game.

Stony Brook outshot New Hampshire 27-16 in the game, and 20-7 in the first half. They were also 6 for 7 in the game on free position shots.

The Seawolves won 14 of 22 face-offs on the day. Cook tallied a game-high six face-off wins.

Stony Brook was also without leading scorer Claire Petersen, who did not play in the game.

Stony Brook has two games left in its regular season schedule. The Seawolves will play Boston University at home on Saturday before taking on Binghamton at home the following Saturday.