Eight is the Magic Number for Softball

The Stony Brook softball team blew out UMBC for the third time in two days on Sunday, winning by the score of 8-0 at University Field. Overall the Seawolves outscored the Retrievers 24-1 on the weekend.

Stony Brook now has won 11 of their past 13 games, and five straight. They have also beaten UMBC six straight, dating back to last season.

Stony Brook took a 2-0 advantage in the second inning, on a two run double by junior Jessica Combs. Then in the third junior Jessica Zeilman had a two RBI double of her own, to give the Seawolves a four run lead.

In the fifth and sixth innings, Stony Brook continued to build on their lead. Zeilman and freshman Alexandra Pisciotta each drove in a run in the fifth, and sophomore Bria Green and junior Nicole Schieferstein each had RBI hits in the sixth.

The Seawolves had five players with multiple hits in the game. In total, Stony Brook had 18 base runners on the day, with 12 hits, and six walks. They outhit UMBC 30-13 in the three games.

In the circle, freshman Jane Sallen won her fourth straight decision, pitching a complete game shutout for the Seawolves. She has now allowed one run or less, each of her past seven appearances.

After having their pitching carrying them for a number of games, the Seawolves’ bats have woken up recently. Pisciotta now has driven in a run in four straight, and sophomore Shayla Giosia has hit safely in six straight.

The Stony Brook softball team continued its recent hot play and cruised to a pair of easy victories against UMBC on Saturday, at University Field. The Seawolves took an 8-0 shutout win in the first game, before winning 8-1 in the second game.

In the first game sophomore Bria Green hit a third inning grand slam to get her team out to a 4-0 lead. She now has four home runs on the year, which ties for the team lead with sophomore Shayla Giosia.

Freshman Alexandra Pisciotta and junior Jessica Combs also added a pair of RBI singles in the game to help extend Stony Brook’s lead. In the fifth inning, the Seawolves took an eight run lead and the game was called due to the eight-run rule.

In the pitcher’s circle, sophomore Alison Cukrov kept UMBC quiet at the plate. She pitched five scoreless innings, giving up only two hits, and striking out eight.

In the second game it would be the Retrievers who would get on the board first on a RBI double by Kayla Martinez. In the bottom of the third, Stony Brook would even things up on a run-scoring single by Combs.

The Seawolves came through with a big fourth inning at the plate, putting up seven runs on seven hits in the frame. Giosia had the big hit in the inning, with a two-run single. Stony Brook was also able to capitalize on two UMBC errors in the inning.

Junior Christine Lucido had little trouble protecting the lead for the Seawolves. She pitched seven solid innings, only giving up one run, and earning her seventh win of the year.

Stony Brook scored 16 runs in the two games on Saturday, and outhit the Retrievers 18-8. Senior Gina Bianculli was a factor at the plate in both games, going 4-for-7 on the day, with four runs scored, and an RBI.

Pisciotta had a RBI hit in both games on Saturday, marking her third straight game with an RBI. She had the game winning single in the win against Fairfield on Thursday.

The Seawolves then are home once again for a pair of games against Quinnipiac on Thursday.