Women’s Lacrosse defeats Albany 9-2 in AE opener

Saturday, the 13/13 ranked Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team (10-2, 2-0 AE) hosted its conference home opener against the University of Albany Great Danes (6-4,1-1 AE) in stylish fashion. Almost all 60 minutes of regulation was dominated on both ends by the Seawolves, who beat the Danes 9-2.

For Stony Brook coach Joe Spallina, it was his team’s defense that was most impressive post game. “We played great defense. I think in this type of game the team with the better defense wins. We did a good job forcing bad shots,” he said.

Forcing bad shots was key for Stony Brook as Albany was only able to convert two out of its 12 shots on goal (0-7 in the second period).

“If we can play D [defense], we pretty much can score when and how we want,” said coach Spallina. The Seawolves scored nine goals from six assists thanks to five points each from seniors Claire Petersen and Demmianne Cook.

Petersen, in her first game back from an injury, came in big in the second period with two assists and two goals helping finish off the Danes.

Cook continued her 2013 domination with three goals and twi assists. “You know she’s (Cook) just amazing. She means so much on both ends for us and when she’s passing the ball too she’s unstoppable,” said Spallina.

Next week, the Seawolves will look to extend their five-game win streak as they travel to UMBC, Saturday at 5 p.m.