Softball beats Fairfield, 2-1

Alexandra Pisciotta singled home the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh to give Stony Brook’s softball team a 2-1 victory over Fairfield on Thursday. The Seawolves have now won eight of their last ten games.

“This wasn’t the prettiest offensive day we’ve had, but we found a way to grind it out,” said head coach Megan Bryant.

With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Stony Brook had senior Gina Bianculli on second, when Pisciotta lined a single to left field. Bianculli was then ruled safe on a very close play at home, to give the Seawolves the walk-off win.

Stony Brook’s offense only had five hits, but the Seawolves pitching once again kept the game close. Junior Christine Lucido, freshman Jane Sallen and sophomore Allison Cukrov combined to give up just one earned run in seven innings.

“We threw all three of them today, because we thought It was important to have different looks against Fairfield, since they’re a very good offensive team,” said Coach Bryant. “I think it worked out well for us.”

Stony Brook scored the game’s first run in the third inning, on an RBI single by sophomore Shayla Giosia. With Pisciotta on second base, Giosia hit a blooper that fell in front of Fairfield second baseman Kristen Filicia. The ball then took a bad hop on the infield dirt, and bounced away from Filicia. Pisciotta then was able to score from second, thanks to some heads up baserunning.

In the fifth inning the Stags were threatening to take the lead, as they had the bases loaded with only one out. But, Sallen was able to get Lauren Filicia to bounce into an inning ending double play, to preserve the lead.  In the sixth inning, Fairfield’s Taylor August hit a two out double against Sallen to tie the game up at 1-1.

Cukrov then got Stony Brook into a jam in the top of the seventh inning, putting two runners on base with just one out. But, she was able to get out of it without giving up a run, by striking out the next two hitters. She picked up her fifth win of the season, when her team scored in the bottom of the inning.

Low scoring close games are nothing new for the Seawolves this season. Four the team’s last five games have been decided by just one run. Stony Brook has also allowed two runs or less in ten of their last eleven games.

“Our pitching has really picked up and our defense has been steady, so hopefully we’ll continue to get better,” said Coach Bryant.

The Seawolves will begin a three-game home series against UMBC on Saturday at 1pm. It is their second series against a conference opponent this season, after playing three against Hartford last weekend.