Women’s Lax beats Fresno State for fourth straight win

The latest lacrosse game makes four dominating wins in a row for the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team, this time with them overmatching the Fresno State Bulldogs 20-2.

Whether it was the 3 unassisted goals in the first 6 minutes of play or Stony Brook’s 11-1 lead a quarter of the way into the game, you got the hint pretty early that Fresno State couldn’t compete with the nationally ranked no. 13/13 Seawolves (9-2,1-0).

The few fans and high school recruits that braved the cold air and brisk night’s wind witnessed an offensive showcase by Stony Brook’s senior stud Demmianne Cook who finished with 7 goals, 6 of which came in the first half.

As for Fresno State (1-6), they couldn’t seem to get the ball and when they got the ball they couldn’t seem to hold onto it, forcing bad shots and having no penetration.

So why does Stony Brook play a non-conference game like this one? “It gives us the opportunity to get our subs time and work on a few things in a live game which is big going into our conference schedule,” head coach Joe Spallina said. “This is a big week for Stony Brook Lacrosse, high schools are out and we have all our recruits watching. Our game against Albany (6-3,1-0) Saturday will be a measuring stick for how good we are and it’ll give us an idea of where we are in conference.”

Come Saturday the blowout may be gone as the Seawolves face possibly their most able in-conference opponent and SUNY rival University of Albany Great Danes Saturday at 1pm at LaValle Stadium.