Top three with Keith: a summary of foreign affairs, March 11th

Falkland Islands

A referendum taking place on March 10 and 11 will determine the status of the Falkland Islands. The islands, which are a British overseas territory, were the focus of the Falklands War in 1982 between Great Britain and Argentina, which each claim the islands as their own. The vote asks the indigenous population and long-term British residents to decide whether they’d like to remain under the Crown. The vote is expected to show huge support for the British government, in stark defiance of Argentina and its insistence that the islands belong to them; this determination to bring the Falklands under their sovereignty is part of a claim that is written into the Argentinian constitution. Even if the referendum supports severance between the Falkland and British Islands, that doesn’t necessarily support a desire to join with Argentina. Some inhabitants of the islands desire independence in the future.

Venezuela

Hugo Chavez, the notorious Venezuelan President, died on March 5 after a two-year-long battle with cancer. After launching two failed attempts at overthrowing the Venezuelan government and spending two years in jail, Chavez ran as a candidate for president in 1998 and won with popular support. He implemented socialistic policies such as subsidizing food for the poor and provided free health care. After failing to nationalize the oil industry within the nation, Chavez was overthrown in 2002. He returned to power within two days. Because of his vocal dissent for many of America’s policies, as well as his friendship with the former Cuban President Fidel Castro, the relations between America and Venezuela deteriorated. Even after his death, the man seen as his successor, Nicolas Maduro, has equally hostile views towards America, leaving no evidence that ties will improve anytime soon.

North Korea

Once again, North Korea has continued to antagonize the rest of the world. The United Nations has been working on additional sanctions against the North Korean regime ever since the recent nuclear test. After finally implementing them, Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, has declared the end of the armistice which concluded the Korean War. This is most likely just posturing to try to deter the members of the United Nations from imposing additional sanctions, but this will do the opposite. By threatening to use nuclear weapons on our allies, America will continue to push back on the regime that has caused them so much trouble.