Bryant defeats Men’s Lacrosse 10-9

Senior Jeff Tundo continued his strong season, scoring three goals in Stony Brook's loss to Bryant on Saturday. Photo by Nina Lin.
Senior Jeff Tundo continued his strong season, scoring three goals in Stony Brook’s loss to Bryant on Saturday. Photo by Nina Lin.

The Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team (5-4) fell just one goal short of defeating non-conference opponent, Bryant (1-7) Saturday evening at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The final score of the game was 10-9, just like the result of last season’s game between the two.

The Seawolves ended the game with nine goals. Freshman attack Brody Eastwood scored four, senior midfielder Jeff Tundo scored three, and sophomore midfielder Mike Andreassi and sophomore attack Mike Rooney scored one each. Sophomore goalkeeper Pat McGushin finished the game with a career-high 13 saves.

Attack Shane Morrell scored three goals and had three assists for Bryant and midfielder Kevin Massa won 19 of 22 draws as Bryant dominated face-offs.

Stony Brook had its final lead, 7-6, of the game with 40 seconds left in the third quarter. After Bryant’s next two goals were scored only 46 seconds apart in the fourth, Andreassi tied the game, 8-8. When the score was tied at nine, his shot attempt was saved and 17 seconds later; Morrell scored the game-winner with 3:19 to play.

In the last minute, the Seawolves had one last chance to tie the score. They were a man up with 42 seconds left. But with four seconds on the clock, Andreassi’s shot was blocked and the time ran out.

Senior defender JJ Laforet made his season debut with four ground balls and four caused turnovers, adding to the Seawolves’ season-high 12 caused turnovers.

Stony Brook will play its first America East game at Vermont on Saturday, March 30 at 1 p.m. The Seawolves are back home in Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Saturday, April 6 when they will take on Binghamton at 4 p.m.