Nivins’ 3 RBI lift baseball over Fordham, 3-2

Senior Tanner Nivins drove in all three of SBU's runs. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Senior Tanner Nivins drove in all three of SBU’s runs. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Strong pitching and Tanner Nivins’ bat lifted the baseball team over Fordham, 3-2, today.The senior outfielder drove in all three of the Seawolves runs, and the SBU pitching staff allowed the Rams just six hits.“We continued to pitch extremely well and our defense has been playing well behind our pitching,” head coach Matt Senk said.Stony Brook wasted no time, starting the game by putting the first two batters on base.Sophomore Cole Peragine opened the game with a double, and quickly moved to third after a bunt single from freshman Jack Parenty.With runners on second and third, Nivins smashed a single to left to give the Seawolves a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Parenty scored the third run as well, after Nivins hit a sac fly that the Rams’ right fielder dropped.Both Parenty and Peragine went 2-for-4 on the day, combining for four of SBU’s six hits.

“Offensively, we’re still not where we want to be,” Senk said. “It’s been very slight so far, but there’s been some improvement.”

Fordham scored its two runs in the fourth, when starter Chad Lee gave up a two-run home run.

Lee was relieved by freshman Tim Knesnik, who threw 3 and 1/3 scoreless innings to earn his second college win. Fellow freshman Tyler Honahan got the save—the third of his career—after pitching a scoreless ninth.

The Seawolves had zero errors in today’s game, their fourth against Fordham this weekend.

They will play Fairleigh Dickinson Thursday in their final non-conference matchup before America East play begins. First pitch at Joe Nathan Field is at 3 p.m.