Men’s Lacrosse falls to No. 1 Maryland on Sunday, 13-7

Men's lacrosse couldn't keep up with No. 1 ranked Maryland. Nina Lin / The Statesman
Men’s lacrosse couldn’t keep up with No. 1 ranked Maryland.
Nina Lin / The Statesman
The men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 1 Maryland, losing Sunday’s non-conference matchup 13-7.
With the loss the Seawolves had a three game winning streak snapped and fall to 4-3 on the season.The Terps who are now 5-0 this season, showed why they are ranked number one in the ACC early on in the game.  Maryland held Stony Brook scoreless through the first 16:48 of the game, and opened up a 5-0 lead. This was an unusual occurrence for the Seawolves, who had outscored their opponents, 22-12 in the opening quarter of games coming into Sunday.Maryland took a 7-2 lead into the half, and then opened the third quarter with a 4-0 run to take full control of the game. The Seawolves improved their play from that point ending the game on a 5-2 run, but the hole they had dug themselves was too big.

Sophomore Mike Andreassi led the Seawolves with two goals and an assist. Freshman Kyle Zorn also tallied a career high two goals in the game. Stony Brook had 24 shots on the day, but only 14 of them were on goal.

Freshman Dan Shaughnessy was strong in net for Stony Brook, making seven saves against one of the nation’s best offensive squads. But, Maryland’s high powered offense proved to be too much for the Seawolves in this game.

Kevin Cooper, Jay Carlson, Own Blye, and Joe LoCascio all had 2 goals apiece for Maryland. In total nine different Terps players found the back of the net in the win.

Maryland had 45 ground balls in the game, compared to just 25 by Stony Brook, and won 20 of the 24 face-offs on the day. Charlie Raffa won 15 of 18 face-offs for Maryland.

The Seawolves were also 0-4 with the man advantage in the game, marking just the second time this season they failed to score a man-up goal.

One thing the Seawolves were able to do effectively was get clears, going 17 for 20 on clear opportunities. They also forced 18 turnovers by the Terps, three of them forced by senior Savaughn Green.

With the loss Stony Brook is now 0-21 all time against ACC opponents. They are also 0-2 all time against Maryland. The Seawolves also loss to ACC’s Virginia 13-7 back on February 23rd.

Now this Saturday Stony Brook will be back on the road again, taking on Sacred Heart for a 12pm game. Six of the Seawolves first eight games have been on the road this season.