Men’s Lacrosse sweeps two Big East teams

Freshman midfielder Challen Rogers lead Stony Brook with three goals and three assists against Rutgers. Photo by Nina Lin.

Freshman Brody Eastwood scored the game-winning goal with just 40 seconds left in the third overtime as the Seawolves defeated Rutgers 9-8 on Saturday. Senior Jeff Tundo assisted the goal, as Eastwood beat Kris Alleyne over his left shoulder.

With the win, Stony Brook is now .500 for the first time under head coach Jeff Nagle. Freshman Challen Rogers scored three goals and had three assists in the game for Stony Brook. Tundo also scored in the game and had three assists.

Sophomore Mike Andreassi and freshman Chris Hughes both scored two goals for the Seawolves. Freshman goaltender Dan Shaughnessy had 10 saves in the win.

Rogers had three goals and three assists and Hughes had two goals of his own.

Stony Brook won the ground ball battle 29-26 for the first time all season.

Freshman Frank Lucatuorto won both overtime face-offs for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook’s largest lead of the game came in after Hughes’ second goal, when they went up 3-1.

The game was tied six times and saw seven lead changes.

Tundo now has 13 goals and 10 assists after five games.

Rutgers is 5-2 against Stony Brook, but both of Stony Brook’s wins came at Rutgers.

This win was the second straight victory over a Big East opponent. The Seawolves defeated St. John’s 11-7 on Tuesday. Tundo had five goals and four assists in that win. Stony Brook will return home Tuesday as they take on Siena at 3:30 pm.