Wrestling competes at NCWA NE Regional Championships

SBU Wrestling participated at the NCWA Northeast Regionals, seeing six wrestlers qualify for nationals. Photo courtesy of Stony Brook Wrestling.

This weekend Stony Brook University Club Wrestling traveled north for the NCWA Northeast Regionals. They finished in 6th place and had a total of 6 wrestlers qualify for nationals, which will be held next week. Even in their first year as a competitive team they managed to fall just a half point out of 5th place.

Wrestlers that qualified for NCWA nationals in Allen, Texas are senior Bobby Beneventno at 133 (3rd), Mike Shimer at 149 (2nd), Scott Dunkirk at165 (5th), Mike Lloyd at 197 (5th), Kyle Folk-Freund at 235 (5th) and Juan Velasquez at HWT (3rd).

Senior Mike Shimer was the first Stony Brook wrestler to qualify for nationals. He made it to the finals, where he would fall to a future All-American in a very difficult weight class.

Beneventno wrestled back after a loss in the semifinals to grab a 3rd place medal along with Velasquez.

Potentially the most impressive performance from Stony Brook was from Kyle Folk-Freund at 235 who finished 5th in what Coach Shaun Lally described as “The hardest weight class they’ve ever seen.”

Lally continued, “I thought we wrestled real well this weekend. Those who got the chance to go to nationals were working for it since day one. I know they’re going to represent Stony Brook well.”

NCWA Nationals will be held March 14th-16th in Allen, Texas.