Maysonet participates in NFL Draft Combine on Sunday

Decorated senior running back Miguel Maysonet attended the NFL combine to prove his case to all 32 NFL teams. Photo by Kenneth Ho.

Senior Miguel Maysonet, who ran his last season of Stony Brook football last fall as one of the chief running backs, has gone to the National Football League (NFL) combine to prove his case to all 32 NFL teams that he is worthy to be on their squad.

Should he be selected in this year’s NFL draft, the first round of which begins on April 25, he would be the first player in Stony Brook history to have that honor. He is one of 38 running backs at the combine.

According to Stony Brook Athletics’ Twitter account, Maysonet was able to do 20 reps of 225 pounds at the bench press.

At the combine, he may be unable to participate in the 40-yard dash because of a hamstring injury. He will have a further opportunity to prove himself at his pro day on March 21 at Stony Brook.

In his senior season, Maysonet started all 13 games and was a runner-up for the Walter Payton award, which since 1987 has been presented to the most outstanding college football player in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). He achieved the award of Big South Offensive Player of the Year. He accumulated 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns. That total of yards was 11th most in FCS history.

Prior to coming to Stony Brook, Maysonet played for Riverhead High School until he graduated in 2009. He initially played one year at Hofstra University. However, the school closed its 72-year old football program in December 2009. Maysonet, along with fellow running back Brock Jackolski class of 2012, came to Stony Brook for the following season.