100% Raise in Parking Fines… Just Brilliant

Stony Brook has some serious explaining to do. We understand the need to punish individuals who do not follow the rules, in this case in the form of parking tickets, but there are instances when the game is so fixed against the students that punishment, especially an increased one, is unwarranted.

As far as we can tell, the monumental increase in parking fines is just an easy way for the university to raise extra money. With tuition locked, the university is looking for new and creative ways to charge their students more and more.

The problem with raising parking fines is that the administration is punishing students for their own inability to keep up with the increasing demand. There would unquestionably be fewer tickets going around if more parking were available. But the administration has openly admitted to being caught in a bind when it comes to the construction of additional spaces.

President Kenny said at the Five Year Plan town hall meetings earlier in the semester that the administration doesn’t want to tear down trees to make room for lots, and the price they estimate for a garage is hovering at around $18,000 per space.

And the alternative that the university arrived at was to, in effect, tax students who have vehicles on campus.

Again, we understand that students who fail to follow directions deserve some form of repercussion. But to raise fines by 100% or more? That is excessive.