Women’s Basketball Opens Season 1-1

Seawolves Topple Iona 66-57

The Women’s Basketball Team won their first contest of the season on Friday against a weaker Iona squad. Leading the way was senior forward Dana Ferraro and senior guard Aly Young. Ferraro lead the Seawolves with 16 rebounds while Aly Young led the team in scoring with 13 points.

In a great team effort, first year coach Michele Cherry used a strong eight women rotation and her players dominated every facet of the game. Stony Brook dominated Iona in rebounds, shots taken, assists, blocks, steals, and Iona had more turnovers, and fouls.

In the first half, the game was relatively close and neither team had full control of the game. However right before the first half ended, the Seawolves made a late run and took a slim 34-33 lead into the locker room. The second half was then a continuation of the end of the first half. Stony Brook absolutely dominated on both the offensive and defensive sides and lead most of the half. They outscored the Gaels 32-24 in the second stanza as the game finished with a final score of 66-57.

Although Young and Ferraro led the Seawolves, in the points and rebound categories respectively, freshman guard Misha Horsey was probably the biggest reason why the Seawolves topped the Gazelles. She led the team with 6 assists, but more importantly she controlled the ball. With impeccable ball handling, she not only led the fast break on a number of occasions to build the lead, but with only 1 turnover all game, she made sure Stony Brook kept its lead as time winded down.

Another Seawolve’s player worth mentioning is Morgan Patrick. Patrick swiped seven rebounds, and scored six points, but most impressive was her five blocks. Dikembe Mutombo came to mind as she dominated the paint, and turned away several of the Gazelles lay-ups.

Seawolves Blown Out by #2 UConn 98-35

On Sunday the Lady Seawolves visited powerhouse #2 UConn for their first road game of the season. Dana Ferraro highlighted the over -matched Seawolves with her 15 points, nine rebounds and two steals as the only player in double figures. Overall the Seawolves shot under 40% from the field while UConn hit 54% of their shots.

SB next plays Sacred Heart on Wednesday night at 7:00 PM