Stony Brook women’s basketball snaps three-game skid

Each women’s basketball team came into Saturday’s game at 3-5 in the America East conference, Stony Brook and University of New Hampshire fought to see who’d be a contender and who’d be a pretender as they moved into the second half of their conference schedule.

However, it was the Seawolves who would win 60-47 and improve to 12-10 on the season thanks to an impressive defensive performance.

After the game Stony Brook’s head coach Beth O’Boyle was very happy with their effort and aggression.

“We were able to get ball pressure and played with great defensive intensity all game. We filled the passing lanes and they(UNH) weren’t able to get it to their forwards.”

Stony Brook came out to a hot start shooting 57 percent from the field. ”We set hard screens and put ourselves in good positions to get open look’s and were able to capitalize.”

Once again, sophomore Sabre Procter led Stony Brook in scoring with 17 in 21 minutes. Cari Reed led the Wildcats with 14 points and six rebounds.

But for Coach O’Boyle, junior guard Chikilra Goodman was the key to Stony Brook’s success. She shot 5-9 from the field scoring 11 and pulling down 6 rebounds along with four steals.

“She’s a very athletic defender who set’s the tone on defense and often creates her offense as a result of her defense on transition.”

Last Wednesday Stony Brook hosted first place Albany who is undefeated (8-0) in America East play. The Great Danes showed their talent as they beat the Seawolves in Pritchard Gymnasium 68-35. Ebone Henry led Albany with 23 points.

Up next for the Seawolves was second place Boston University (18-4, 8-1 AE). Last time out BU won 72-61. The Seawolves will look to go to 5-5 in the America East as they currently stand in fifth place, a half-game behind Vermont.