Stony Brook men’s basketball adds Florida guard Kameron Mitchell to official roster

The Stony Brook University men’s basketball team announced that Kameron Mitchell, a 6-3 shooting guard from Jacksonville, Fla., will be joining the roster during the spring semester.

“It is great to have an all-around great person in Kam to our roster,” head coach Steve Pikiell said according to Stony Brook Athletics. “He is a good student and comes from a great family, and he will fit nicely on our roster. As a three-point shooter, he has incredible range and great accuracy. He truly has a great instinct for scoring.”

Mitchell graduated last spring from Mandarin High School, where he was team captain on varsity for two years under head coach Terry McCarter. He was on the varsity team for a total of three years.

He was named Class 8A All-State by the Sarasota Herald Tribune and All-First Coast by the Jacksonville Times Union.

He has the school record in three-pointers with 224. As a junior, he averaged 23.3 points, 3.3 assists and 2.6 steals per game and scored a school-record 48 points on Jan. 14, 2011, 38 of those coming in the second half.

Because of his efforts, he was conference Player of the Year and an All-State and All-Conference selection.

As a senior, he averaged 21.5 points, 4.8 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals, and he had another 40-point night when he dropped 44 on Dec. 13, 2011, and completed 10 three point shots.

The guard orginally gave a verbal comittment to Wagner last year, but de-comiitted after the program’s head coach left to coach at the University of Rhode Island.

Mitchell will be wearing jersey number two for the Seawolves.