Stony Brook football’s Norrell plays in NFLPA bowl in Los Angeles

Stony Brook All-American Kevin Norrell of the football team played in the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) Collegiate Bowl on Jan. 19.The game was played at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles, Calif., Norrell’s hometown.

The game is meant to feature the seniors from college football who are perceived to be most eligible for the NFL draft, which will begin on Thursday, April 25.

Coaching the game would be former NFL coaches Herm Edwards and Dick Vermeil.

Norrell, who was unable to be reached for comment, recorded 11 receiving yards in the game, and his team, known as the National team, beat the American team by a score of 34-0.

During the season, Norrell caught 66 passes and accumulated 1,388 yards of offense and 15 touchdowns.

He made the Big South conference single-season records for yards, yards per catch with 21 and yards per game with 106.8.

He is the only player in Stony Brook history with more than 1,000 receiving yards.

He also got 100 yards of offense and a touchdown in five straight games, two of those consecutively with three touchdowns per game.

At the end of his two-year career at Stony Brook, Norrell has 20 touchdowns and 2,061 yards attached to his name.

Norrell came to Stony Brook after a season at El Camino Junior College. Before that, he played for Washington State.

Those totals are second and third, respectively, in the Seawolves’ Division I history.