Stony Brook women’s basketball defeats Binghamton and Vermont during break

Winter ‘break?’ Not a thing for these Seawolves.

While the rest of the student body took some time off, the women’s basketball team played 10 games, winning five and making its overall average 11-9.

Conference play opened at the start of the new year, and SBU has played its last seven games—two of which were televised—against America East opponents.

As the team enters the new semester, its conference average stands at 3-4.

Back in 2012, the Seawolves played two games against non-conference opponents.

After losing to Rutgers 72-44, Stony Brook finished the year on a high note, beating Iona 70-64.

In the Iona game, sophomore Sabre Proctor scored a career-high 25 points.

The six-foot-tall transfer is currently leading the team with 212 points scored in her first season playing for Stony Brook.

The Seawolves opened the conference season on Jan. 2, falling to Boston University 72-61. Stony Brook fought until the bitter end, but could not compete with the Terriers’ Chantell Alford, who put up 23 points.

The Terriers entered the game ranked #10 by CollegeInsider.com’s Mid-Major Top 25.

The season opener was the 11th straight game in which the Seawolves fell to BU.

Stony Brook bounced back after that initial loss, beating New Hampshire 48-44, and Binghamton 56-34.

SBU and New Hampshire had nearly identical numbers in the first half, but a strong second half from the defense and junior Chikilra Goodman pushed the Seawolves to victory.

Goodman put up 14 of her game-high 18 points in the second half, one short of tying her career-high.

This was Stony Brook’s first win at New Hampshire in six years.

The Seawolves put on a show in their televised game against Binghamton; Goodman led the scoring with 16 points and was named America East Player of the Game, while senior Jessica Previlon and freshman Brittany Snow each put up 10 points.

The game, which was shown locally on Optimum, showed Stony Brook in fine form: SBU outrebounded the Bearcats, 44-39, and held Binghamton to a 21.8 (12-for-55) shooting percentage for the game.

With this win, the team surpassed its conference win total from all of last season.

On Jan. 12, the Seawolves fell in a back-and-forth game to Hartford, 59-43.

The last time Stony Brook beat the Hawks was back in 2006; this was the teams 16th consecutive loss to the Connecticut team.

Despite being tied at 24 points going into the second half, SBU could not keep up with the Hawks rapid scoring. Stony Brook turned the ball over 21 times and allowed Hartford to go on a 10-0 run at one point.

Proctor lead the team with 13 points, nine of which were scored in the second half, while junior Teasha Harris and Goodman added 11 apiece.

After a week’s rest, Stony Brook beat a struggling Vermont 68-53.

Solid offensive play from Goodman, who netted 11 points, as well as Snow and Proctor, who tallied 16 points each, helped the Seawolves cruise to victory.

SBU went 25-for-35 from the foul line and outrebounded Vermont, 44-39.

In their final two matches of the break, the Seawolves fell to UMBC, 70-59, and Maine, 67-51.

Goodman once again led her team against UMBC with 15 points  in a game streamed on ESPN3.com.

Proctor added 10 points and Dani Klupenger chipped in with 11.

Stony Brook did not shoot any free throws in the entire first half, and could not keep up with the Retrievers 48.1 shooting percentage.

Saturday’s game against Maine saw three Seawolves scoring in double-figures, but that wasn’t enough to bring down the Black Bears.

Although SBU grabbed an early lead, Maine responded with a 10-0 run midway through the first half that Stony Brook could not bounce back from.

They trailed 29-15 at the half, which was the team’s largest halftime deficit all season. Previlon got 12 points and Proctor added 10, while Klupenger led the team with a season-high 14 points.

A senior, Klupenger left break being seven shy of making 100 three-pointers and earning a spot with four others on SBU’s all-time three-point field goal list.

The Seawolves entered the semester at the peak of the season.

With nine games left to play, they’ll have to overcome their inconsistencies to try and gain a shot in the playoffs.

Stony Brook returned to action on Wednesday, Jan. 30 at Pritchard Gymnasium. Tip-off was 7 p.m.