Stony Brook women’s basketball loses at the University of Maine

After losing a road game to UMBC 70-59 on Tuesday, the Seawolves followed up with a 67-51 loss to Maine at Orono on Saturday, despite four three-pointers and 14 points from senior guard Dani Klupenger.

Stony Brook held a 5-4 lead at the 13:15 mark of the first half after a lay-in by sophomore forward Sabre Proctor, but Maine, capitalizing on turnovers from the Seawolves, would go on a 12-0 run and pull away.

During this run, Maine’s Liz Wood and Ashleigh Roberts each scored six points.

Stony Brook turned the ball over three times, as Maine took a 16-5 lead with 9:15 left in the half.

Stony Brook finally ended the run at the 8:25 mark with a lay-up from junior guard Chikilra Goodman.

By the end of the half, Maine held a 29-15 lead.

The second half was much closer, with the Black Bears outscoring the Seawolves 38-36.

In addition to Klupenger’s 14 points, Stony Brook was led by senior forward Jessica Previlon’s 12 points and Proctor’s 10 points.

Senior forward Gerda Gatling grabbed a season-high eight rebounds, including five offensive rebounds.

Maine saw four different players score in double digits.

Roberts had 14 points, while Wood, Danielle Walczak and Corinne Wellington all finished with 12 points each.

With the loss, Stony Brook drops to fifth place in America East play with a 3-4 conference record, while Maine, currently in last place in the conference despite the win, improves to a 1-6 record in America East play.