Tennis opens spring season against Penn and Lehigh

Men drop matches in doubles and singles play

Despite valiant efforts from the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles teams, the men’s tennis team lost to both Penn and Lehigh this weekend to open the 2013 season.

Both doubles teams lost at Penn, 8-7. The team of freshman Rick Timmerman and sophomore Albert Fontova fought through six consecutive games to try and end Penn’s 7-1 lead, but ultimately failed.

The lone Stony Brook win at Lehigh came from senior Robert Forai, who defeated Matt Savran, 6-4, 6-3, in the singles match.

The men will try to make a comeback in two weeks at the Yale 4-Way in Connecticut.

Women split two with Lehigh 

Decisive wins in both singles and doubles helped the women’s tennis team beat Lehigh 7-0 this weekend.

The No. 2 doubles team of freshmen Louise Badoche and Jackie Altansarnai and the No. 3 team of sophomore Cassandra Dix and junior Lisa Setyon each defeated their opponents 8-5.

Sophomore Polina Movchan started the match with a No. 2 singles win, and Dix added points with a 6-0, 6-0 win in the No. 4 singles.

Senior Nini Lagvilava sealed the victory for the Seawolves with her 6-1, 7-5 No. 1 singles win.

Although they dropped the season opening match, 4-3, on Friday against Penn, Lagvilava defeated Sol Eskenazi to give the Quakers their first individual-match loss this season.

Movchan and Altansarnai added points with singles wins, but that was not enough to overcome the Quaker squad, who took all three doubles matches.

The women’s team will be back in action at Army on Feb. 23, making up a match rescheduled due to the recent blizzard.