Women’s Basketball loses to Boston University, Hartford over past week

Dani Klupenger hit four three-pointers on Sunday. Photo by Adrian Szkolar.

After Nemo postponed Saturday’s women’s basketball contest to Sunday afternoon, the Seawolves (12-12, 4-7 AE) aimed to gain ground on the upper echelon of they America East conference as the hosted University of Hartford (16-8, 7-4 AE), a perennial power in the league.

Despite a 36-26 rebounding advantage from Stony Brook, the Seawolves ultimately fell to the Hawks 60-44.

Head coach Beth O’Boyle was less than pleased with her team after the game. “ We just couldn’t hold onto the ball, whether we were taking contested shots or turning it over we couldn’t execute our game plan. I said coming in if we could control the ball and out rebound them (Hartford) we had a good shot.”

Truthfully, junior guard for Stony Brook Chikilra Goodman was a representation of the game at large for the Seawolves. She pulled down 11 rebounds, but also turned the ball over six times.

In reference to Goodman, O’Boyle said, “The turnovers were a result of her trying to do too much. We spent the whole game behind and that caused her over-aggression.”

Senior guard Dani Klupenger reached the 100 three-point field goal mark with four triples and 14 points.

Sophomore guard Amber Bepko would have none of Stony Brook as she posted a game high 20 points shooting 7-11 from the field and 3-5 from being the arc.

Sabre Proctor dribbles inside against Hartford's Nikkea Smith on Sunday. Proctor finished with seven points. Photo by Adrian Szkolar.
Sabre Proctor dribbles inside against Hartford’s Nikkea Smith on Sunday. Proctor finished with seven points. Photo by Adrian Szkolar.

On Wednesday, Feb. 6, junior forward Sabre Proctor scored 14 points for the Seawolves, but it was not enough as the Stony Brook’s women’s basketball team lost to Boston University 64-45, at the Case Gym on Wednesday night. Little went right for Stony Brook on this night, as BU was in control from start to finish.

The Terriers did not trail the entire game, and were able to build an early lead in the first half. A three-pointer from Terriers senior Kristen Sims gave BU a double digit lead with 13:43 to go in the half, and from there they never looked back. Senior Chantell Alford hit a three-pointer right before the end of the first half to give her team a 35-21 advantage going into the half.

Things only got worse to start the second half for the Seawolves, as Stony Brook only scored two points in the six and a half minutes of the period, and fell behind 50-23 with 13:59 to play. Stony Brook did respond with a 16-3 run, but they were never able to get the game back within single digits.

BU shot 48.1 percent from the field and was a perfect 7-for-7 from the free throw line. Stony Brook struggled with its shots, finishing at 33.3 percent from the field, and missing seven of its 15 attempts from the charity stripe. The Seawolves also committed 18 turnovers on the night.

Proctor received her third consecutive start for the Seawolves was named one of the America East players of the game. She has now led the Seawolves in scoring in 10 games this season. She played a team high 32 minutes, and also had two assists and two steals.

Goodman also played well in the loss for Stony Brook, tallying 10 points, four assists and seven rebounds. Freshman forward Brittany Snow also added six points, and the Seawolves got seven boards from senior forward Gerda Gatling. For Gatling it is her fifth game this season with at least seven rebounds.

Alford led all scorers in the game with 20 for the Terriers while classmate Mo Moran chipped in 12 points and three assists. Junior Rashidat Agboola was perfect from the field (6-for-6) and from the charity stripe (5-for-5) for BU, finishing with 17 points and eight rebounds.

Stony Brook next plays on Wednesday Feb. 13, as the Seawolves will travel to play eighth place Binghamton University (4-20, 3-8 AE).

The Seawolves currently are sixth out of nine teams in the America East standings, a half game behind Vermont.