Stony Brook men’s basketball defeat UMBC on the road

The Stony Brook University men’s basketball team improved to a 5-1 record in conference play, building on its best 19-game start in the program’s Division-I history of 14-5, with a road victory against the University of Maryland, Baltimore Country, defeating the Retrievers 67-60.

With the win, the Seawolves now have the leading conference record in the America East.

Junior guard Dave Coley picked up the game high in points with 17 and was two rebounds short of a double-double. Senior forward Tommy Brenton, who was playing near his hometown of Columbia, Md., also came close to a double-double with 12 points and seven rebounds.

Stony Brook never trailed in Wednesday’s game, though the Retrievers never fell behind enough to give them sufficient breathing room. The Seawolves’ initial success with a 16-4 run to start the game put them too far ahead for UMBC to ever catch up.

In the second half, the Retrievers got to within four points of Stony Brook twice, but the Seawolves completed seven of 10 crucial free throw opportunities in the final minutes to secure for themselves the victory.

The Seawolves will next return home to play the University of Maine Black Bears at 2 p.m. on Saturday.