Port Jefferson experiences record high flooding

Weeks after being named Seawolves country, Port Jefferson was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy this past week.

Water levels hit record highs as water reached all the way up Main Street in Port Jefferson. Businesses scrambled to prepare for the storm by placing sandbags outside of their entrances, tape on their windows and moving furniture to prevent any damage.

Port Jefferson flooding
Main Street in Port Jefferson, N.Y. flooded early afternoon on Oct. 29 as Hurricane Sandy landfall that evening. Many Port Jefferson residents wandered around downtown area despite village officials’ call for a mandatory evacuation at 10 a.m. that morning. (Deanna Del Ciello / The Statesman)

“We tried to move furniture and unplug electrical items like our blow dryers,” Alexis Franquiz, owner of Artemios Salon in Port Jefferson, said.

Luckily for Franquiz, the only thing that happened to her business was loss of electricity, which happened to most of Port Jefferson. Downed power lines and trees left hundreds of thousands without power all over Long Island.

The lack of power in Port Jefferson has left it more of a ghost town than Seawolves country. Without any electricity, businesses can’t open, which is hurting some of the business owners.

“I definitely missed about a weeks worth of sales almost. I haven’t made money since Sunday,” Ricki Steiner, a Port Jefferson resident and owner of 411 Retro Boutique in the Harbor Square mall, said.

While Steiner has been unable to open her business due to loss of power, her husband, who also owns a business in the mall called The Twilight Café, has been open throughout the hurricane.

Steiner says her husband’s café was the only place open in downtown Port Jefferson and that made for long lines on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Hurricane Sandy left a mark on Port Jefferson as many remain without power and traffic lights. It is recommended that people stay off the road unless needed. LIPA hopes to restore power within the next week for much of the area. Until then, roads are dark at night, so caution is encouraged.