Classes cancelled for a week due to Sandy

The ravaging force that was superstorm Sandy tore through Long Island last week, with damages extensive enough to keep most Stony Brook University facilities down for the week. But although five days worth of classes were cancelled, SBU administrators do not plan to add another week to the end of the fall semester.

“At this time there is no plan to extend the semester,”  Dennis N. Assanis, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, said. “Following consultation with Deans and Chairs earlier today, we are asking that faculty teach all essential content within the existing class time left in the semester,” he said in an email.

Faculty and students would have to cram missed materials into the remaining five weeks of the semester, but the date for priority registration has moved. Students with priority registration will start Nov. 7 instead of Nov. 5, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. said in an email.

Students were also urged to keep updated for any further cancellations into the second week of post-Sandy recovery, said Stanley.  Whether or not this will affect the current decision to not add classes is unknown. “More information on this important issue will follow as it becomes available,” he said.