Commuter student robbed near Schomburg

A female commuter student was robbed in a parking lot near Schomburg Apartments on Tuesday, Oct. 30, police said.

A female commuter student was robbed on Tuesday Oct. 30 in the parking area near Schomburg Apartments by an unknown male, according to a statement issued by the Office of Emergency Management.

The female student was getting something out of the trunk of her car, according to the Assistant Chief of University Police Department and Director of Emergency Management Lawrence Zacarese, when she was approached by the individual who displayed an unknown object and demanded her bag.

The student dropped her bag and ran, said Zacarese, and the assailant took the bag and left in an unknown direction.

The victim told the police that the robber had olive skin and was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, black hat and a black scarf that covered his face.

“It is absolutely an isolated incident,” Zacarese said.  “It’s a robbery that we don’t necessarily think is associated with the hurricane.”

The campus community was alerted about the incident and ongoing investigation through the SB Alert system that afternoon.

“It’s incidents like this remind us how important the systems we put in place to keep our campus secure are being used,” Senior Vice President for Administration Barbara Chernow said.

Any information about the robbery should be reported to the University Police Department.