Stony Brook men’s soccer drops 1-0 loss to UMBC

The men’s soccer team lost Friday against the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), who scored a goal in the second half of the game to beat the Seawolves 1-0.

Despite the fair amount of attempts to score a goal from both teams throughout the whole game, the UMBC team seemed to have handled the game and the opportunities better than the Seawolves.

“We knew we would have to do a good job of breaking the numbers down and being good with our chances,” coach Ryan Anatol said. “If we were a little bit more ruthless in front of goal, we would have had a better result. Unfortunately we didn’t take our chances… they punished us for it.”

The Seawolves had a good offensive start with freshman Martin Giordano, who almost scored a goal at the 32nd minute of the first half.

Later on in the game, senior Raphael Abreu received the ball in the middle of the field and tried to score but was stopped by the UMBC goalkeeper. The second attempt to score was taken by senior Kyle Schlesinger, who put the ball over the goal.

After that, the game continued as normal with a lot of opportunities for both teams.

Despite the Seawolves’ loss, Stony Brook senior goalkeeper Stefan Manz played a huge part in the game, making four saves that prevented the UMBC teams from scoring more than one goal.

All these attempts were not enough to stop UMBC, whose for whom Caringi Pete scored a goal in the 74th minute.

Despite the loss, coach Anatol is still positive and does not forget the team’s ambition.

“Our goal now is to keep getting better,” Anatol said. “We created enough chances tonight to win the game, but we still need to be a little bit more ruthless… we need to continue to work at it and move on.”

But although the overall good and positive attitude of the team is a boon, Anatol is aware that to win the last couple of matches of the season, the Seawolves need to continue pushing forward.

“We have to keep going and creating chances,” Anatol said. “We had a couple of chances in front of the goals to keep the saves, the guys responded, unfortunately tonight we ran out of time.”

“We are a confident group. We have to pick ourselves up,” Anatol said. “There is a lot ahead of us, lots of positives.”