Soccer ties UMBC, beats Maine

Stony Brook beat Maine to 5-1. Stony Brook women’s soccer ended its two-game losing streak by beating the University of Maine 5-1 in its fifth conference game on Thursday night at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

Junior forward Larissa Nysch scored two goals in  the 15th and 16th minutes, and freshman Raven Edwards, senior Taryn Schoenbeck and freshman Aley Leonardi all added goals in the second half.

Stony Brook improved to 2-3 in America East play. “I think we had a lot of people coming forward and creating pressure tonight, and as a result, we created more chances for ourselves,” said head coach Sue Ryan.

The Seawolves dominated the game except for the first five minutes, when Maine threatened with three scoring chances. After those moments, the Seawolves took control of the game as Schoenbeck’s one-on-one chance in the fifth minute turned things around for Stony Brook.

After 10 minutes, sophomore midfielder Regan Bosnyak passed the ball to Nysch, who was rushing behind Maine’s defense line. Nysch slotted the ball into the goal past Maine’s goalkeeper.

“I know that the first goal, we were working on that exact same practice all week,” said Nysch. The Seawolves did not stop their offense, as Schoenbeck assisted another of Nysch’s goals.

After the second goal, Stony Brook took complete control. While Stony Brook easily developed the game with precise crosses and passes from both wings and midfield, the Black Bears could not put together much of an offense. The Seawolves were able to break the Black Bears’ defensive line for most of the game.

Coach Ryan stressed keeping possession of the ball by passing to set up chances.

“We maintained possession of the ball and moved the ball systematically then tried to get forward rather than just launching it. We are going to get on the end of it,” she said.

The second half was not much different from the first half, as the Seawolves stayed in charge.

The Seawolves exploited empty space effectively.

In the 56th minute, Edwards scored her third goal after a cross from midfield that was deflected by Maine’s defender.

After that goal, Maine’s defense began to collapse.

As a result, in the 64th minute, Schoenbeck snatched the ball when the Black Bear’s defender hesitated, then she dribbled into the box and scored her fourth goal.

The fifth goal for the Seawolves was netted by Leonardi.

In the 78th minute, sophomore forward Eliza Mendoza passed to freshman Danielle Fuller, who was rushing to the left wing, and Leonardi finished her chance made by Fuller’s cross.

After a minute, Maine midfielder Alex Abrahams succeeded in making a free-kick from 20 yards away, but it was too late for the Black Bears.

Coach Ryan said that the growth of young players is a “positive sign” for her team.

“We have a young team, so they’re improving week by week and game by game because they’re benefitting from the speed of play at this level and competing,” she said.

Seawolves tied a game against UMBC on Sunday in Baltimore with 1-1 as senior Sa’sha Kershaw scored equalizer in a penalty kick in the 66th minute.

The Retrievers’ freshman forward Bria Bass scored in 37th minute from 25 yard out. However, in the second half, as freshman Raven Edwards was dragged down in box, Stony Brook gained a penalty. Kershaw finished her chance calmly.

With the tie in the game, Stony Brook is in fifth place in the conference standing with seven points (2-3-1). The top six teams will enter into play offs.

Amid two games remaining, Stony Brook will have a game on Thursday with New Hampshire in Durham, N.H. and another game on Sunday with Harford at home.

Today’s win was the teams fifth at home, as they improved to 5-1-2 at LaValle Stadium.

The team has only two games remaining on the schedule, Thursday, Oct. 18 at New Hampshire and Sunday, Oct. 21 vs. Hartford.

After these two games, comes the America East Championship, which will be played on Thursday, Oct. 25, Sunday, Oct. 28 and Saturday, Nov. 3.

The location of these games have not been determined as of yet.