Stony Brook football beats Army 23-3 in a historic victory

The Stony Brook football team gave Army its fourth defeat of the season while improving their record to 3-1. (Nelson Oliveira / The Statesman)

“It’s the first time for Stony Brook, and I’m excited for us to say that we are the first team to do that in Stony Brook history,” running back Miguel Maysonet said of the historic victory.

Maysonet, who has been extremely successful thus far this season, broke another record against Army as he rushed for a career high 220 yards. He also had 32 carries and two touchdowns.

Less than five minutes into the game, Maysonet ran for a 49-yard touchdown, giving Stony Brook a one-touchdown cushion and some momentum for the rest of the game.

“For us to come out there and score right away just made us excited to play the game,” Maysonet said. “It showed us that we could go out there and compete with them.”

For Army, the loss made it four in a row for a struggling football squad. The victory propelled Stony Brook to 4-1, with the only loss against football powerhouse Syracuse.

Stony Brook quarterback Kyle Essington was impressive on the field against the military academy, which was packed with 31,006 fans. Essington finished 11 for 15 with 151 passing yards. Wide receiver Kevin Norrell was the most vital wide receiver of the game with seven touches for 95 yards.

However, the offense is nothing without help from the defense. Stony Brook’s defense was four for four on fumble recoveries. When Army faltered, the Seawolves were right there to take advantage of the situation.

“We were four for four on fumble recoveries,” linebacker Dan Mulrooney said.  “I think they shot themselves in the foot a little bit with the fumbles. We made the plays at the right time.”

This was a huge game for Stony Brook; not only does it add another win to the Seawolves’ schedule, but the victory should give the team the knowledge that it is capable of playing—and winning against—aggressive, well-known FBS teams.

“When you execute your plan, its very rewarding for your kids,” Head Coach Chuck Priore said. “We said what’s crucial for us is to score when we get the ball and keep the ball, because that limits their momentum.”

And keep the ball is just what the Seawolves did. On one drive, Stony Brook completed 16 plays with 75 yards in 8:31. Army had a hard time keeping possession of the ball, and Stony Brook took full advantage of it.

“We put a drive together that showed that we had arrived,” Priore said.

Priore will have little time to celebrate the win with his players as they prepare for next week’s game against Charleston Southern. The game will be held back at Stony Brook’s Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium, and Priore is convinced that Stony Brook football is beginning to garner more recognition as the season continues on.

“We have an athletic department that’s going to be successful,” Priore said. “It adds to the culture of the campus and it adds to the excitement.”