Homecoming 2012: Stony Brook defeats Colgate 32-31

The Seawolves came back in the fourth quarter to defeat Colgate in the 2012 Homecoming game. Kevin Lizarazo/The Statesman

A crowd of 10,278 flocked inside LaValle Stadium during homecoming on Saturday night to see their Stony Brook Seawolves defeat Colgate 32-31.

It was a close game for the home team, but runningback Miguel Maysonet put the team on his shoulders with 31 touches, 206 rushing yards, 100 yards in kick returns and one touchdown.

Stony Brook trailed 28-20 with 6:32 left in the third quarter, but Maysonet was confident his team would bounce back.

“I knew that we were going to get another chance to get to score again,” said Maysonet. “We ended up doing that. And from there, we just kept playing and kept believing in ourselves.”

Maysonet is the speed demon that racks up yards on a continuous basis, but running back Marcus Coker is the go-to guy for quick rushes and short yardage.

Coker finished with 15 carries, 68 yards and two touchdowns.

Colgate’s runningback Jordan McCord also had a great game, finishing with 23 carries, 117 yards and a touchdown.

Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore acknowledged that it was his fault for giving Colgate the lead, but during halftime, when Colgate led 21-17, he promised his players his coaching would improve.

“I told them at halftime, I said now, you guys got my back in the second half and I’ll be better,” said Priore. “We dominated the second half from the first play to the last stop.”

Stony Brook finished with two touchdowns and a 34-yard field goal from kicker Wesley Skiffington in the second half.

Quarterback Kyle Essington finished 9 for 18 with 155 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Priore noted that despite being behind, he knew that they would give it their all to come out with a win.

“Good teams can overcome adversity and good programs can overcome adversity,” said Priore. “I think we did that in the second half.”

The game was nothing short of a nail-biter as Maysonet pounded into the end zone with 3:31 left on the clock to seal the deal for the Seawolves.

With the win, Priore now remains undefeated at homecoming games during his seven-year tenure at Stony Brook University.

Next up for him and his squad is a road trip to West Point to take on Army next Saturday at noon.

Priore expressed some concerns he had earlier on in his Stony Brook football career, but it’s clear now that Priore is more than comfortable on Seawolf turf.

“When Hofstra dropped football, I think my biggest concern was can we be the show on Long Island?” said Priore. “And I think we are the show, and we have arrived.”

The team will wrap-up non-conference play next week at Army (0-3).

Game starts at 12 p.m. at Army. After that, the Seawolves will take on Charleston Southern for their first conference game.