Men’s basketball adds Nyama, German International, to 2013 recruiting class

Adding a little international flair for its 2013 recruiting class, the Stony Brook men’s basketball team got a verbal commitment from forward Roland Nyama on Sunday.

“It’s nice,” Nyama said of his commitment. “Stony Brook is like a family, that is why I chose it.”

Hailing from Germany, and the son of Cameroonian parents, Nyama currently plays at Holderness High School in New Hampshire, the same high school that current Stony Brook redshirt freshman Scott King played at.

He also played Amatuer Athletic Union basketball for the Westchester Hawks, based out of New York.

Before choosing Stony Brook, Nyama had offers from 11 other Division I programs, including Robert Morris, New Hampshire and Central Connecticut State.

He also mentioned that head coach Steve Pikiell flew to his parents’ home in Germany to talk with them face-to-face. “My mom liked him,” Nyama said. “And she’s not easy to please.”

Before coming over to the United States, Nyama played for a team in his native Germany called Eintracht Frankfurt and turned down offers to turn professional. “In Germany, you have a decision to make to go pro, or go to a university and study,” Nyama said. “I can get a good education in the States and continue to play at a high level.”

Listed at 6-foot-5-inches, Nyama said that he can bring a lot to the table, in particular strong defense.

Last year, as a junior, he was named an honarable mention in the NEPSAC Class AA all-league teams.

“I can guard three positions, point guard, shooting guard and small forward,” Nyama said. “But other than that, I can rebound a little, I can pass, and I can shoot.”

On Saturday night, Nyama was present at LaValle Stadium to take in the school’s homecoming football game, the first time he had seen one live. Stony Brook defeated Colgate 32-31 in the game.

“It was amazing how everyone was wearing red,” Nyama said. “Everyone was giving each other hugs after the game, because Stony Brook won, I liked how the people connected through that.”

Athletic Communications dec-lined to comment due to Nyama not being officially signed to a national letter of intent.

Nyama is the second recruit Pikiell has gotten for next year. Kameron Mitchell, a guard from Florida, committed to Stony Brook last spring shortly after de-committing from Wagner.

Nyama’s first game for the Holderness Bulls will take place on Nov. 28.

They play in the St. Andrews Tournament on Nov. 14-15 to finish out the 2012 calendar year.

The team finishes its season on Feb. 23 against Thayer Academy.