Women’s soccer defeats Lehigh, Manhattan this weekend at LaValle

Stony Brook women’s soccer defeated Lehigh University 3-1, after rallying from an early deficit. The Seawolves received goals from junior Larissa Nysch, senior Sa’sha Kershaw and freshman Tessa Devereaux.

Lehigh scored an early goal from Paige Elliott just 2:25 into the match. Nysch scored in the 15th minute, to tie the game at one.

The game remained tied into the second half until Kershaw’s goal, which was scored just 52 seconds in.

Devereaux scored her first goal in her college career, just three minutes after Kershaw’s.

Nysch, Kershaw and Devereaux all had a goal and an assist on the day.

Junior goaltender Ashley Castanio had three saves on the day as she picked up her sixth win on the season.

Stony Brook outshot Lehigh 20-9, as they improved to 6-2-1 overall and 3-0-1 at home.

The Seawolves final non-conference game is on Friday, Sept. 21, as they host Loyola University.

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team defeated Manhattan College 1-0 Friday, with the winning goal made by senior captain Sa’sha Kershaw in the second half.

Kershaw scored in the 85th minute after getting a ball from a freshman Raven Edwards in the left wing.

Stony Brook was dominant in the game and but could not finish many chances they made before Kershaw scored.

As soon as the game began, the Seawolves threatened the Jaspers. In the 13th minute, Edwards missed a shot, shooting the ball right to the goal.

After six minutes, freshman Tessa Devereaux threatened Manhattan as her shot deflected off a Manhattan defender.

Even though the Jaspers tried to pass the ball upfield, they were blocked by the Seawolves’ defenders.

In the second half, both teams were more aggressive.  The Jaspers made two shots on goal of four shots, but Seawolves goalkeeper junior Ashley Castanio denied the chances with two saves. Castanio got the third shutout of the season.

In 60th minute, sophomore Regan Bosnyak and Edwards missed two chances that were made in a row in the box.  Taryn Schoenbeck, a senior, also could not finish two chances in the 73rd and 75th.

The Seawolves outshot the Jaspers 30-4.  Head coach Sue Ryan did not much worry about missing many chances. “The concept of soccer is that you have to take lots of chances to score a goal,” she said. “It’s not similar to basketball where every time you shoot you suppose to score.”

Coach Ryan also complemented Kershaw, who scored.  “Big players do big things in big situation,” said Ryan. “That is the leadership of the senior captain coming out.”