Women’s tennis shines at Stony Brook University Classic

With four singles wins and one doubles win, the Seawolves made a statement this past weekend as they kicked off their season with the Stony Brook Classic.

The hosts put on an impressive display, winning every category except two.

Senior Nini Lagvilava beat fellow Seawolf and sophomore Polina Movchan 6-3 and 6-1 in the flight ‘A’ finals.

Lagvilava beat Celine Maier of Fairleigh Dickinson in the quarterfinals and Erin Colton of Army in the semifinals before she got to Movchan.

Movchan beat Jordan Brewer of Amherst and Jamila Paul from Army before ultimately losing in the final.

The two Seawolves teamed up for the flight ‘A’ doubles, losing in the semifinals to Brewer and Amherst teammate Gabby Devlin.

Lagvilava and Movchan were partners last year too, ending the season with a 17-6 record overall.

Sophomore Cassandra Dix beat Navy’s Sam Droop 6-4 and 6-3 to take the flight ‘C’ final.

Freshman Lisa Setyon took the flight ‘E’ final after beating Army’s Kelly Daniel 6-4 and 6-2.

Freshman Jackie Altansarnai beat her fellow freshman teammate Becky Shtilkind to win the flight ‘B’ finals 3-6, 7-5, 10-7.

Shtilkind beat Sue Ghosh of Amherst in the semi-finals to advance, while Altansarnai defeated Lisa Maas from LIU.

Altansarnai and Dix teamed up to cap the Seawolves’ outstanding tournament by winning the flight ‘B’ doubles.

The duo beat Navy’s Stefanie Ton and Mikaela Carlson in the quarterfinals and Safi Aly and Caroline Richman from Amherst in the semifinals.

They beat the Navy duo of Logan Antill and Gabby Winter, 8-5, to take the crown.

The two categories not won by the Seawolves were the flight ‘D’ singles and the flight ‘A’ doubles, which went to Nicole Chis from Fairleigh Dickinson and Brewer and Devlin, respectively.

The women’s tennis team will be back in action next weekend at the three day West Point Invitational, which starts on Friday, Sept. 21.