Seawolves head to Carrier Dome to take on Syracuse

Coming off a very impressive 77-7 win against Pace, Stony Brook football looks to a huge challenge against Syracuse next Saturday. The Seawolves totaled 693 yards of offense against Pace, 521 of those  on the ground.

Redshirt freshman Jamie Williams rushed for 144 yards and three touchdowns, and junior transfer Marcus Coker and senior running back Miguel Maysonet each had two touchdowns of their own.

But the Seawolves will be facing their toughest test yet when they take on the Orange in the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse is coming off a 42-29 loss to No. 2 USC Trojans.

The game was played in the home of the New York Jets and Giants at MetLife Stadium.

Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib was 30-for-46 with 322 yards and two touchdowns. But the Trojans were too much for the Orange, as Matt Barkley threw six touchdowns for the second best team in the nation.

Meanwhile, the Seawolves are 2-0 for the first time since 2007. They also have an offense that has been hard to stop. They scored 49 points in their first game against Central Connecticut and had 196 yards of offense.

So far, they have scored 126 points and have 1,182 yards of total offense. 822 of those yards have been on the ground, with Maysonet’s leading the way with 225 yards.

They will take on Syrcause for the first time in school history. “I think we have an opportunity to win some football games, which is always good, and we get to work on some situational stuff during the game,” coach Chuck Priore said.

One of the biggest surprises has been senior wide receiver Kevin Norrell, who has 208 yards and two touchdowns.  He had an 89-yard touchdown in the first game and leads the Big South in receiving yards.

Syracuse is led by Nassib, who leads the Big East with 402 yards per game and tied with six touchdown passes. Marcus Sales leads the Big East in receptions per game with 20 and receiving yards per game with 116.5.  Safety Shamarko Thomas leads the defense and had the lone interception off Barkley and set up one of the Orange’s scores.

The Orange play in the Big East and play popular teams like Cincinnati, Louisville and Rutgers.

Syracuse is coached by Doug Marrone, who was previously an offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints (2006-08) and an offensive line coach with the New York Jets (2002-05).

The teams play Saturday Sept.15 at 4 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.