Around the Big South Conference

Coastal Carolina

Coastal Carolina (2-0) is coming off two victories against North Carolina A&T and a triple overtime win over Furman.

Senior quarterback Aramis Hillary, who was named one of the top returning quarterbacks in the country, leads them. Through the first two games, he completed 39 of 55 passes for 566 yards and three touchdowns

Senior running back Jeremy Height leads the team in rushing with 155 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 4.1 yards per carry.

Wide receiver Matt Hazel leads the team with 185 total yards on 10 receptions and two touchdowns. Strong play from junior wide reveivers  DeMario Bennett and Niccolo Mastromatteo have provided Hillary with additional options in the passing game.

Senior defensive back Dontavais  Johnson has three interceptions for the Chanticleers.

Coastal Carolina has out-scored their opponents 76-58, and are averaging 137.5 rushing yards per game and 283 passing yards per game.

Presbyterian

Presbyterian (1-1) is coming off of 59-3 loss to Georgia Tech, after defeating Division-II Brevard 45-10 in it’s opener.

Quarterback Tamyn Garrick has completed 22 of 44 passes for 203 yards in the first two games, throwing one touchdown and one interception.

Running back Lance Byrd leads the team with 189 yards on 31 carries.

Sophomore running back Demarcus Rouse has 146 yards on 14 carries and three touchdowns.

Junior wide receiver Arthur Williams leads the team in both receptions and receiving yards, with seven and 81 yards, respectively, and has the team’s lone receiving touchdown.

Presbyterian’s next opponent is Vanderbilt before they return home to face Furman.

Its head coach is Harold Nicholsm who is in his fourth season as head coach.

He graduated from Presbyterian in 1990.

They will play Stony Brook on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 1:00 p.m.

Charleston Southern University

Charleston Southern University is coached by Jay Mills, who is in his 10th year at the university. It lost both of its games this season, 49-14 against The Citadel and 31-10 to Jacksonville.

It have been outscored 80-24 in the two games and have rushed for only 241 yards. The team has given up 577 rushing yards and 257 passing yards. Charleston Southern has also been out gained 834-608 in total yardage.

Malcolm Dixon leads the team at quarterback and has thrown for 29 yards and one touchdown. Wide receiver leads the team in receiving with 138 yards.

Nathan Perera is right behind him with 134 yards. There next three games are away, at Illinois, Shorter and Stony Brook respectively.

It play at Buccaneer Field, which opened in 1970 and holds 4,000. It became the home for Charleston Southern University in 1991, when they started the program. It takes on Stony Brook at Stony Brook, on Oct. 6.

Gardner-Webb University

Ron Dickerson Jr. is the head coach for Gardner-Webb and is in his second year.

The team is 0-2, having lost 34-7 to #10 Wofford and 41-8 to Richmond.

Juanne Blout leads the team in rushing with 41 yards.

The quarterback is  Lucas Beatty, who has thrown for 223 yards and one touchdown. His longest pass is  62 yards.

The team’s leading receiver is another Deonte Swinton, who has 106 yards on the season.

Their next game is against Samford, before they take on Pittsburgh.

The team joined the Big South as an associate member in 2002, then transitioned to the Big South in all sports in 2008-09.

It plays at Ernest W. Spangler Stadium, which holds 9,000 people.

It has an all-time record of 21-224-3, with no championships. They take on Stony Brook at Stony Brook on Saturday, Oct. 20.

Liberty

Liberty is coming off two straight losses, one to Wake Forest and one to Norfolk State. It fell to Wake Forest 20-17 and 31-24 to Norfolk State. It is coached by Turner Gill, who is in his first season at Liberty. He was a former quarterback at Nebraska and also coached at Buffalo and Kansas.

Liberty has been outscored 51-41 and out-rushed 349 to 261 in their two games.Its top rusher has been Aldreakis Allen, who has 127 net yards. Quarterback Brian Hudson is 32-for-59 with 407 yards and three touchdowns. Wide receiver Pat Kelly leads the team in receiving with 13 catches and 128 yards.

Liberty football plays at Williams Stadium, which holds a capacity of 19,200 It has four conference titles and an overall record of 198-198-4. It won Big South Conference titles in 2007 and 2008, and were co-champions in 2009 with Stony Brook and 2010 with Stony Brook and Coastal Carolina. It takes on Stony Brook on Nov. 3, in Virginia.

VMI

VMI is led by Sparky Woods, who is in his fifth season at the school.

It is 1-1 on the season, with a loss to open the season to Delaware State and a victory against Chowan. It fell to Delaware State 17-10 but defeated Chowan 24-17 the following week.

Quarterback Eric Kordenbrock leads the team in passing with 500 yards and two touchdowns.

He is 41-for-75 with three interceptions as well. Junior David Turner leads the team in receiving with 102 yards on nine catches and no touchdowns.

Turner also leads the team in rushing with 113 net yards on 31 attempts and two touchdowns. It plays Stony Brook on Saturday Nov. 3.