No Mercy: Stony Brook sets school record with 77-7 Win over Pace

Running back Marcus Coker scored two touchdowns in the first quarter. Stony Brook dominated Pace University with a 77-7 win. (Kenneth Ho / The Statesman)

Despite the tornado watch looming on Long Island, Stony Brook’s football team dominated Pace University’s Setters during the second game of the Seawolves’ season. This is the first time that Stony Brook has started 2-0 since its 2007 campaign.

The 77-7 win gave Stony Brook University a school record with most points scored and largest margin of victory.

This was the 13th meeting between the two teams, and Stony Brook now has an 11-2 record over Pace University.

Stony Brook quarterback senior Kyle Essington completed all of his six pass attempts for 158 yards.  He now has his sixth straight game with at least two touchdown passes. Essington played the majority of the first half, but with Stony Brook’s score continuing to escalate, back-up quarterback junior Lyle Negron was put in to fill the position.  Negron went 1 for 2 with 14 yards.

Running back junior Marcus Coker put on a show for the crowd and started off strong, scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter. Coker is confident in Stony Brook’s running game and acknowledged how well the back-up running backs played.

“When you look at the stats, our third and fourth team people had more yards than us combined, so that just tells you how deep and lethal of a running game we have,” Coker said.

With different players seeing playtime against Pace, redshirt freshman Jamie Williams had his time to shine. Williams scored 3 touchdowns for 144 yards and gave fans at the game a glimpse into what type of rising stars are on Stony Brook’s roster.

“I think the exciting part is how excited other people were to see them have success,” head coach Chuck Priore said. “I think that shows the character of this team.”

Running back sophomore Davon Lawrence saw a substantial amount of playtime and ended the game with 122 yards and one touchdown.

“It felt good finally getting out there and playing,” Lawrence said.

Pace’s defense struggled throughout the game and could not seem to find its footing on the field. Stony Brook led 49-0 after halftime, and the obliteration did not stop after that.

While the crowd continued to dissipate during the halftime downpour, Stony Brook’s squad stayed aggressive during the remainder of the game.

With 81 yards against Pace University, running back senior Miguel Maysonet has now become the fourth Big South player to have 3,000 rushing yards in a career.

With an outstanding win, Stony Brook will now have to focus on its next game at Syracuse, which will without a doubt be its toughest opponent yet.

“I’m excited about the victory, being 2 and 0 and we’re looking forward to Syracuse next week,” Priore said.