Baseball player pleads guilty to DWI charge

G.C. Yerry, a rising senior on the baseball team, pleaded guilty to a charge of driving while intoxicated related to a November 2011 incident.

According to the police report obtained by The Statesman, Yerry was arrested in the early morning hours of November 6 and charged with DWI, aggravated DWI and failure to stay in a single lane of travel. He was 20 years old at the time.

On July 10, 2012, he was sentenced to three years’ probation and a six-month license revocation. The other charges were dismissed, but he was charged several hundred dollars in fines for the aggravated DWI charge.

Yerry may also be required to use an ignition interlock device, which is basically a breathalyzer that will not allow the engine to start if the users’ results are higher than the programmed BAC, for a year.

A left-handed pitcher, Yerry has mostly been used for relief in his time at SBU. He was 1-0 in 2012, making eight appearances for the Seawolves.

He is due back in court on January 3, 2013.

Yerry could not be reached for a comment. No word yet on his status for the 2013 season.