Women’s soccer blanks St. John’s, 3-0, in first victory against Big East school

On the strength of goals of from Caitlin Pfeiffer, Priscilla Wiggins and Kristen Baker, Stony Brook defeated the St. John’s Red Storm 3-0 Sunday afternoon, its first win over a Big East school in 14 years.

Pfeiffer opened up the scoring in the 35th minute with a shot from the top of the box that went in just inside the left post.

In the 43rd minute, Wiggins intercepted a back-pass that bounced over Red Storm goalkeeper Ellen Conway, scoring on an open net to double the lead.

St. John’s Megan Klement was given a red card for tackling Stony Brook’s Larissa Nysch on a breakaway in the 58th minute. On the ensuing free kick, Baker scored her first collegiate goal, curling a shot in off of the post.

Stony Brook goalie Ashley Castanio made two saves to earn her first shutout of the season. Nysch lead all players with four shot attempts.

With a record of 2-1-1, Stony Brook will travel to Army on August 31st to take on the Black Knights at 5 p.m.